Share article What is FLV and the advantages and disadvantages of flv?: What is FLV format？ Flash Video (FLV, F4V) is a con ...
What is FLV format？
Flash Video (FLV, F4V) is a container file format used to deliver video over the Internet using Adobe Flash Player versions 6-10. Flash Video content may also be embedded within SWF files. There are two different video file formats known as Flash Video: FLV and F4V. The audio and video data within FLV files are encoded in the same way as they are within SWF files. The latter F4V file format is based on the ISO base media file format and is supported starting with Flash Player 9 update 3. Both formats are supported in Adobe Flash Player and currently developed by Adobe Systems. FLV was originally developed by Macromedia.
The format has quickly established itself as the format of choice for embedded video on the web. Notable users of the Flash Video format include YouTube, Hulu, Google Video, Yahoo Video, Metacafe, Reuters, and many other news providers.
Advantages of FLV Files
FLV files have become extremely popular for many reasons including:
1. Flash can be used for a multitude of uses, for example movies, online presentations, banner ads, Internet animations, etc
2. Flash files can be easily viewed by over 90% of web visitors (mostly due to the Flash player browser plug in)
3. Flash files can are usually very small and can be easily downloaded
4. Due to Flash's smaller size and file format, Flash can be viewed via broadband and dial up and even on slower, older computers
5. A variety of different types of video files can easily be converted to the Flash format
Disadvantages of FLV Files
FLV files also have a few disadvantages. They include:
1. Creating Flash content can be expensive and time consuming
2. Flash files are not recognized by search engine spiders – therefore they do not add to a site's optimization
3. Visitors may experience longer wait times to access a web page with Flash, especially if the visitor is using a dial up connection